What are Common Air Conditioner Problems?
August 9, 2018
Air conditioning problems aren’t always predictable, but there are a few common problems that we see over and over again here in North Salt Lake, UT. Recognizing what they are might help you to fix the problem, or might simply help you understand what your HVAC technician is referring to when they provide solutions.
1. Open WindowsOne of the most common problems with the cooling system in your home is occurs when doors and windows are left open. You might be surprised at how often just being vigilant about doors and windows can significantly improve the cooling process for your home.
2. Low RefrigerantRefrigerant is the chemical that cools the air within your AC system. Low levels of refrigerant could mean there is a leak, or an actual problem with the refrigerant system. If your AC system needs to be recharged, most of the time that suggests there is a leak.
3. Leaky Ducts, Bad Air FlowLeaky ducts or improper air flow are another very common culprit for why your AC is not cooling properly. Inconsistent temperatures often are an indicator that this is the problem. If there is a leak somewhere in the line then the cool air that is moving from your unit through your home is not making it all the way to where it needs to go.
4. Filters and CoilsCheck your filters and coils. A dirty filter or coil will restrict your air flow and keep your machine from running at peak efficiency.
5. Clogged DrainA clogged condensate drain on your unit can cause loss of efficiency and cooling. It is best to get a certified HVAC technician to check this for you, it is bit more technical and it is better to be safe than sorry. If you break something it could cause a much more expensive repair later on.
6. Outside FanThe outside fan is responsible for conveying the heat from your home to the outside air. If the fan on the outside isn’t performing correctly, the proper heat transfer cannot take place, the air conditioning compressor may overhead and trip the safety overload.
SolutionThe best and most effective way to prevent these problems is by participating in a preventive maintenance program. If you would like help with your air conditioner from a professional, call us today at 801-203-3526 or request service online.
Need HVAC Service?
Contact the experts at Pond's Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning.
Call us at 801-203-3526!